GET MICHAEL JACKSON RINGTONE ON YOUR MOBILE NOW!!!

Thursday 25 June 2009

Michael Jackson: Glastonbury reacts to his death

The news of Michael Jackson’s death spread throughout the Glastonbury Festival swiftly last night as revellers transmitted the message using the bush telegraph. Such was the resonance of Jackson’s heart attack that by midnight the majority of festival-goers, from the Dance Village to the hippy enclaves in Lost Vagueness, had at least heard a rumour.

Although the singer never performed at the festival in Pilton, Somerset, his standing in the music world meant that his name was chattered by almost everyone as they returned to their tents on the first official night of the event.

Some revellers, learning of Jackson’s death from friends on their mobile telephones, shouted out the news to passers by. Most people reacted with incredulity at first, dismissing it as a “festival rumour”, but those able to check the internet with mobile devices confirmed the story.

Emily Eavis, who helps her father Michael run the festival, posted a message on the official Glastonbury feed on Twitter, the social networking website. “So sad to hear the news about MJ,” she wrote. “There will be tributes all over the site all weekend. A truly great artist. Emily.”

At Silent Disco, the club night at which dancers listen to music on headphones, the crowd were alerted to the news as the disc jockey put on Thriller and “RIP Michael Jackson” was displayed on large screens. Other bars, including one in the backstage area, also played Jackson’s music to commemorate the singer.

Reactions varied from tears to bemusement. Lorraine Deacon, 36, a painter and decorator from Folkestone, Kent, was on the verge of tears as she mourned Jackson’s passing. “I was going to see him at the O2 in July. That is terrible. I’m shell-shocked. I think it’s an awful loss.

“He was fragile, but he was a living legend. He was the king of pop, without a doubt. I think he’ll be remembered greatly. I never believed any of the awful things that were said about him. He has been part of my life for as long as I can remember, and he always will be.”

Helen, 22, from Middlesborough, said: "This is awful, but everything about his life was so insane that I kind of think this could all be some huge conspiracy theory, and he's just tired of the publicity and disappeared somewhere."

Russell Grant, the television astrologer, discovered that Jackson was dead when he heard a festival-goer shout the news to passers-by. "It's sad because he was such a massive, massive talent. I have seen him perform,” he said. “I'm surprised that he lasted so long. I reckon he's given up the will to live.”

David Novan, 34, from Chigwell, had also bought tickets to see Jackson for his final “This is It” tour in east London. "I was going to see him in January with my brother, who always wanted to see him, but now he never will. In some ways it's a surprise that he's lived so long. I went to his concert at Wembley in 1997 and I remember he was not popular. I had a spare ticket and I couldn't sell it. I had to give it away."

Rosie, 17, who was in the Silent Disco tent when she heard the news, was one of many people sceptical at the rumour. “It’s just unbelievable. I’m holding out hope that it’s not true because that would be crazy.”

No comments:

Post a Comment